Tuesday, July 03, 2007

the coptics. [pt. 2]

"The Egyptian Coptic Church" is a sequence of words that has never crossed my ears before. I had never heard of this denomination of the Christian faith, and was curious to find out more while a group of them lived in Nakina and served in Aroland. All I knew of this group beforehand was that their priest (or Father) had to wear his uniform at all times, and that they were going to have mass every morning. Based on such little information, I had already decided what the Egyptian Coptic Church is: another church bound to a series of man-made laws that overshadow the teachings of Christ. A harsh judgment, sure. But I, along with a number of other young adults have become jaded with the structured, institutionalized churches of our North American society. Turns out, the Coptic church far precedes even the discovery of North America. It also turns out that they are, in fact, Egyptian, and date their beliefs to the gospel writer and apostle, Mark.

The Coptic church claims to have stuck to the original traditions handed down from the apostle Mark to the present day. I experienced and learned a number of these traditions: the holy bread with it's thirteen stamped crosses, the reciting of the Lord's Prayer, the reciting of Psalms, facing east while in communal prayer, the saints and the status of Mary, the incense and the chanting of Scripture. While many post-Reformation denominations form and divide over such trivial matters as whether congregates can wear perfume in the sanctuary (true story), the Egyptian Coptic Church has remained unwavering in the issues that matter. In some ways, it has no choice. Any decisions passed down by the Pope are established and made into law -- no questions asked. While it does put a lot of power into human hands (though the Pope is accountable to its council), it almost leaves no room for the questions that we (those of us who feel we have a better understanding of truth simply through our attitudes towards our modern day North American churches ) have. . I'm still deciding whether that is a good thing or not.

If I were to look at my beliefs, they would look like a mishmash of post-Reformation churches: Christian Reformed, Pentecostal, and Mennonite. I was raised in the Christian Reformed Church, experienced much spiritual growth through the Pentecostal Church and was educated under the Mennonites -- all the while learning more about the nature of an infinite God. My experiences with the Coptics has, in a way, grounded me. I have begun to ask a different set of questions, even of the benefit of Martin Luther's Reformation. Though many of Luther's issues with the Roman Catholic Church of his day were valid, was it necessary to break off from a belief rich in history and tradition? Is that what he really hoped for? This only resulted in a hodge-podge of denominations, each claiming to know the answers to every question of faith. Many of our modern-day North American churches root their beliefs in a set of man-made doctrines. These doctrines were written down hundreds of years ago in response to the heretics of their day. In essence, they were "solid" answers to valid questions, and have since never been questioned in return. And so, the debate continues between child and adult baptism, predestination, the power of the Holy Spirit, the infallibility of the Bible, and all the other theological questions that various demoninations differ on. This brings me back to the only question that should really matter: what does it mean when Christ says to love God and love my neighbour in the world I find myself in?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, some interesting stuff for sure, but when I came to the end I asked myself an entirely different question; "How can I trust that anything found in the scriptures are literal or "true", when the same wonderful men who brought us Catholicism (arguably the most oppressive and repressive denomination of Christianity)were also instrumental in the Canonization of the supposed "One True Word of God"? - Dustin H. -

Matthew Kok said...

Oh, Dustin. Must I give you the answer to all of life questions? Here it is: faith. Ha. Did you like that? Yeah, it works for a while until the questions start coming again. As much as faith does play a role, you're definitely asking a valid question. ...to which I don't have an answer. But I have a hint of an answer that crosses my mind...and it has to do with (as far as I know) Biblical facts -- that fact being the existence of Jesus. If he really did exist, then some of the things that the Bible records him saying and doing must actually be true. And if those things are true, then there is truth in a person that 2,000 years of human indoctrination and tinkering has been unable to undo (despite our man-made attempts at creating laws via doctrines and religious acts and rights of passage...all those things you love about the modern-day 'church'). And so, for me, the question I ask is the best question I can seek an answer to as it puts aside all other man-made religious concepts and focuses on the root of all Christianity. Hope that makes sense...and I hope you're enjoying your quest!

Anonymous said...

Hey Matt, great pictures on the website, you're professional! Hope things are great up in Aroland. Every now and then we talk to some of the kids there and it brings back good memories.

As for your thoughts about the church, let me tell you that just because some people did mistakes that we do away with everything that had to do with them (that was not even the intention of Martin Luther), though this makes the search all the more difficult. Although Coptic Orthodoxy is not exactly the same as Catholicism, there are some things in common, such as the sacraments, which are believed to be instituted by Jesus himself. I just want to tell you take your time praying and studying.

I certainly am sure that God will use everyone of us - His servants - in the best way possible. Please say hi to John, Janet, Jordan and everyone else.

Unknown said...

I was chatting with Raquel on msn...she asked me, "hey Monica, who's your hero??"....thinking she was talking about cartoon heros, i simply told her I don't have one...she clarified "Nooo, I mean who do you look up to?" With excitiment, I then gave her a list of all my "heros"...
After a long pause, I asked her the same question, "Raquel, who's your hero?"
"Matt," she said, "He's my guardian angel."

Raquel went on to explain how much you care for them and always try to help. Matt, your love for Aroland kids is truly inspiring. May God continue to bless you and guide you as He works through you and touches the lives of many. I pray all is well.

Anonymous said...

You said it Matt! I am totally with you on this.

Amanda