Thursday, January 07, 2010

Oh, lympics.

The west coast winter we are experiencing this year is a far cry from last year's weather. While we were snowed in by Christmas day 2008, barely a flake has settled on the ground this season--which is a real shame considering the amount of money the cities around here have put into upgrading their winter equipment. All for naught, it seems; at least, so far. Bad news for the hundreds of thousands expected to arrive in a mere 30 days. When it comes to the Winter Olympics, snow is kind of a necessity.

Not a day goes by around here that the words olympics, vancouver, twenty-ten, or flame do not cross my eyes or flow past my ears. Today was all about warning the commuters to plan a different work schedule during the Olympics so that their regular lives do not interfere with the excitement. Already the fences are up, roads are closing, tents are erected, and the street signs warn of parking and stopping limits between February and March. Oh, and on the cover of our local Metro last week was a picture of some guy hanging an Olympic banner on downtown light posts. The photo generated so much excitement amongst us 7am commuters, it was palatable.

There are other words that cross my eyes and flow past my ears, too. Protest, deficit, anti-corporation, human rights, displacement, F$!# 2010.

I really don't know what to think of the Olympics. Yes, they are a giant, enormous waste of money; for Vancouver, for its taxpayers and even for ticketholders who, like me (if I watch), could get a better glimpse of the games from the comfort of a living room couch without the debt-inducing cost of a ticket--and with cheaper drinks and snacks to boot. Unfortunately, I simply cannot get excited about sports in general, so I am definitely not one to get all antsy-in-my-pantsy about the event. But I can't say I'm anti-Olympics.

Anti-Olympics. The problem with the pervasive anti-olympic attitude around here is that it seems to be no more than a revolt against, and does not seem to be a positive force for change. Yes, the money could be better spent on social issues, on the homeless, in the education system, to reduce debt or avoid the HST. But it's not. And it won't be. One group recently announced a "Prorogue the Olympics" campaign. With one month left to go, it, too, seems like a wasted effort. No amount of protest or graffiti will stop 300,000 people from invading the city. And tackling a torch-bearer will not prevent the lighting of the Olympic cauldron. Awareness of a cause may be promoted, but there is little that foreigners could or care to do--too many of them are here just for a good time. Protests didn't work in Beijing, they won't work here.

I am not against protests, don't get me wrong. Protests raise awareness for necessary changes--and there are a lot of necessary changes in Vancouver alone that have been overlooked and shoved to the side for the sake of the games. Olympics or not, these changes would likely not have been addressed anyway (sorry for my pessimism). At this point in the game(s), perhaps it's time to consider positive alternatives.

And there are positive alternatives. Buying Sex is Not a Sport "is a grassroots campaign to raise awareness and effect change around sex trafficking and the 2010 Olympic games." More than Gold encourages Christians to serve the masses as they live in and travel around Vancouver. Home for the Games invites homeowners to rent out rooms, with half the profit earned going towards the fight against homelessness in Vancouver. And I'm sure there are more positive initiatives taking place during the Olympics. Seek them out, and get involved.

The Olympics is at its root, and as far as I can tell, still about athletes competing against each other to win a prize. For those athletes who win, there is an incredible sense of accomplishment and joy as their national anthem is blared across the stadium. And for those who lose, the opportunity to participate is reward enough. Sure there is a ton of money involved in the back rooms of the elite, and corporations have spent and will receive millions of dollars over the course of the two week event. But aside from a massive, complete, counter-cultural initiative to address the capitalist mindset that thrives off the people (read: you and me), little can be done about such extravagances (again, sorry for my pessimism). This is an opportunity for us to leave a positive impression on the masses. Scream and yell, hold your signs if you must. I will choose to effect a positive experience on our visitors.

1 comment:

Travis said...

I know I'm late to the party on commenting on this blog but I wanted to say well done. In the months leading up to the olympics as well as the weeks which followed I struggled with how to integrate my convictions about social-justice, enjoyment of sport, and realization of the inevitibility of the event actually happening. I never did reach a sense of ease on the subject but I did find blogging about it to be somewhat therapeutic!