Monday, March 05, 2007

the B-I-B-L-E
(yes, that's the book for me!)

I've taken to reading the Bible lately. It's a Lent thing, don't ask. Funny how one can pick up a book on any topic and start reading it with no thought as to what the 'underlying meaning' is behind the words read. Not so with the Bible. Since birth, I've been told that there is meaning behind everything that's written between Genesis 1 and Revelation 22. Everything. So, say when you read about the Israelites slaughtering the Canaanites, we're taught that God was giving them the Promised Land. If the Canaanites stayed, they would taint the Israelites, we're told. And that just couldn't be. Complete, total annihilation. And the Israelites failed. Complete, total failure. They got tainted. So we go through the Judges, who basically set the Israelites straight before dying and leaving them to their own waywardness. Proving that God cared for them because he sent them various Judges to rescue His people, we're told. How I would love to read the Bible for the first time. Maybe then I could get through more than 5 chapters at a time. It's ingrained in us, I think. Those of us who have been listening to or reading this thing for decades; we're conditioned to read between the lines. At all times. No longer can a story simply be a story. It has to have some sort of profound meaning. I'd probably read a lot more if I could just read it as a story. And if I hadn't heard most of the stories since birth. Yet, despite all that, I still love what I read ... between the lines ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to read the article in the banner. It's a very interesting on that passage. It uses numerology, which i don't understand, but i'm not Jewish either. But it's an interesting redemption of the genocide passage.

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for your post. It is something that I have often thought about: how would what we read in the Bible change if we didn't have Sunday school answers for everything. I have tried to come to the Bible without those preconceptions and read the story of the Bible as is but, even then, you feel like you are missing out on something huge. I guess it is one of those books that we just have to read over and over again to even scratch the surface of what it was meant to mean :)